Rivarolo Mantovano is one of the examples of design and construction of the ideal city that inspired Vespasiano Gonzaga in the 16th century. Among the beautiful places that you cannot miss, we remember: The Palazzo Pretorio and the Civic Tower, historic seat of the urban magistrates and of the Frumentaria, the building was built at the end of the 16th century and incorporates the 15th century northern gate, also known as the Tower of the Sacks; The Jewish Synagogue, located on the first floor of the building that also housed the Jewish School and the rabbi’s house; Palazzo Penci, a building that manifests in the volumes and sobriety of the rusticated brick portico, with a lowered cross vault, features of the late Renaissance style; The Walls, traced by Vespasiano Gonzaga at the end of the 16th century to enclose the historic center within the perimeter of the walls. It still preserves today the three city gates: Porta Mantova, Porta Parma and Porta Brescia; the Church of Santa Maria Annunciata, built with three naves starting from 1416 on a pre-existing oratory, which houses the body of Blessed Sisto Locatelli, a Franciscan friar, declared co-patron of the Rivarolo community; the Palazzo del Bue, which preserves the name of the family “del Bue”, residing here with a “Giovanni del Bue quondam Angelo”, registered in the Teresiano Land Registry, as owner of the “House with garden”.
Visit our Virtual Tours
European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development
Europe invests in rural areas