San Martino dall’Argine is the perfect place for those seeking tranquility, in the shadow of its important monuments. Anyone who comes here to admire the beauties of this enchanting place cannot forget to visit: the Palazzo Comunale, with its majestic Gonzaga arcades, testimony to the pomp of the lords of Mantua, dating back to the period between the end of the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries; the Castello Church, commissioned in 1582 by Cardinal Scipione Gonzaga, which contains important stucco statues placed inside the niches of the nave (the Apostles between the pilasters, the Prophets in the upper band); the First Infantile School of Charity of the rural villages, formerly “Casa Renati” and used as a barracks. It later became the first location of the rural kindergarten founded by Ferrante Aporti in 1834; the Church of Santi Fabiano and Sebastiano, where the mausoleum of the Gonzaga lords of San Martino is located inside the central chapel, called Santa Croce; the Oratory of Santa Maria delle Grazie, built in 1759, is a small religious building typical of the agricultural reality of the time.
Visit our Virtual Tours
European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development
Europe invests in rural areas